US Civil War Maps
Spotsylvania Court House from Surveys under the direction of Bevt. Brig. Gen. N. Michler, Maj. of Engineers by command of Maj. Gen. A.A. Humphries, Brig. Gen. & Chief of Engineers
by J.E. Weyss
New York: NY Lithograph, Printing & Engraving, 1867. Very good +/none as issued. J.E. Weyss. Beautiful hand colored lithographic map of the Spotsylvania Court House American Civil War battlefield. Original from 1867. One crease in center of map. 36 x 24 1/2 inches tall.
The Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, sometimes more simply referred to as the Battle of Spotsylvania (or the 19th-century spelling Spottsylvania), was the second major battle in Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and Maj. Gen. George G. Meade’s 1864 Overland Campaign of the American Civil War. Following the bloody but inconclusive Battle of the Wilderness, Grant’s army disengaged from Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s army and moved to the southeast, attempting to lure Lee into battle under more favorable conditions. Elements of Lee’s army beat the Union army to the critical crossroads of Spotsylvania Court House, Virginia, and began entrenching. Fighting occurred on and off from May 8 through May 21, 1864, as Grant tried various schemes to break the Confederate line. In the end, the battle was tactically inconclusive, but both sides declared victory. The Confederacy declared victory because they were able to hold their defenses. The United States declared victory because the Federal offensive continued and Lee’s army suffered losses that could not be replaced. With almost 32,000 casualties on both sides, Spotsylvania was the costliest battle of the campaign.On May 8, Union Maj. Gens. Gouverneur K. Warren and John Sedgwick unsuccessfully attempted to dislodge the Confederates under Maj. Gen. Richard H. Anderson from Laurel Hill, a position that was blocking them from Spotsylvania Court House. On May 10, Grant ordered attacks across the Confederate line of earthworks, which by now extended over 4 miles (6.4 km), including a prominent salient known as the Mule Shoe. Although the Union troops failed again at Laurel Hill, an innovative assault attempt by Col. Emory Upton against the Mule Shoe showed promise.Grant used Upton’s assault technique on a much larger scale on May 12 when he ordered the 15,000 men of Maj. Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock’s corps to assault the Mule Shoe. Hancock was initially successful, but the Confederate leadership rallied and repulsed his incursion. Attacks by Maj. Gen. Horatio Wright on the western edge of the Mule Shoe, which became known as the “Bloody Angle”, involved almost 24 hours of desperate hand-to-hand fighting, some of the most intense of the Civil War. Supporting attacks by Warren and by Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside were unsuccessful.Grant repositioned his lines in another attempt to engage Lee under more favorable conditions and launched a final attack by Hancock on May 18, which made no progress. A reconnaissance in force by Confederate Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell at Harris farm on May 19 was a costly and pointless failure. On May 21, Grant disengaged from the Confederate Army and started southeast on another maneuver to turn Lee’s right flank, as the Overland Campaign continued toward the Battle of North Anna. –wikipedia
North Anna from Surveys under the direction of Bevt. Brig. Gen. N. Michler, Maj. of Engineers by command of Maj. Gen. A.A. Humphreys, Brig. Gen. & Chief of Engineers
New York: NY Lithograph, Printing & Engraving, 1867. Very good +/none as issued. Julius Bien, Sup. Hand colored lithographic map of the North Ana American Civil War battlefield. Original from 1867. One crease in center of map. 24 x18 inches tall. Loss on bottom right; wear on bottom edge
The Battle of North Anna was fought May 23–26, 1864, as part of Union Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s Overland Campaign against Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. It consisted of a series of small actions near the North Anna River in central Virginia, rather than a general engagement between the armies. The individual actions are sometimes separately known as: Telegraph Road Bridge and Jericho Mills (for actions on May 23); Ox Ford, Quarles Mill, and Hanover Junction (May 24).
After disengaging from the stalemate at Spotsylvania Court House, Grant moved his army to the southeast, hoping to lure Lee into battle on open ground. He lost the race to Lee’s next defensive position south of the North Anna River, but Lee was unsure of Grant’s intention and initially prepared no significant defensive works. On May 23, the Union V Corps under Maj. Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren forded the river at Jericho Mills and a Confederate division from the corps of Lt. Gen. A.P. Hill was unable to dislodge its beachhead. The II Corps under Maj. Gen. Winfield S. Hancock stormed a small Confederate force at “Henagan’s Redoubt” to seize the Chesterfield Bridge crossing on the Telegraph Road, but did not advance further south across the river.
That night, Lee and his engineers devised a scheme for defensive earthworks in the shape of an inverted “V” that could split the Union army when it advanced and allow the Confederates to use interior lines to attack and defeat one wing, preventing the other wing from reinforcing it in time. The Union army initially fell into this trap. As Hancock’s men failed to carry the Confederate works on the eastern leg of the V on May 24, a brigade under the drunken Brig. Gen. James H. Ledlie was repulsed from an ill-conceived assault against a strong position at Ox Ford, the apex of the V. Unfortunately for the Confederates, Lee was disabled with heart issues and none of his subordinates were able to execute his planned attack. Civil war historian Gary Gallagher mentions this as the one time General Lee’s health directly affected the course of a battle. It is often argued that these health issues caused questionable decisions at Gettysburg but Gallagher makes the point that Lee was a very aggressive minded general and that his actions at Gettysburg were typical of this mindset.
After two days of skirmishing in which the armies stared at each other from their earthworks, the inconclusive battle ended when Grant ordered another wide movement to the southeast, in the direction of the crossroads at Cold Harbor.— wikipedia
Bermuda Hundred from Surveys under the direction of Bevt. Brig. Gen. N. Michie, Maj. of Engineers by command of Maj. Gen. A.A. Humphreys, Brig. Gen. & Chief of Engineers
New York: NY Lithograph, Printing & Engraving, 1867. Very good +/none as issued. Julius Bien, Sup. Hand colored lithographic map of the Bermuda Hundred American Civil War battlefield. Original from 1867. One crease in center of map. 36 x 24 1/2 inches tall.
In March 1864, Ulysses S. Grant was summoned from the Western Theater, promoted to lieutenant general, and given command of all Union armies. Grant devised a coordinated strategy that would strike at the heart of Confederacy from multiple directions: Grant, George G. Meade, and Butler against Robert E. Lee near Richmond; Franz Sigel in the Shenandoah Valley; William Tecumseh Sherman to invade Georgia, defeat Joseph E. Johnston, and capture Atlanta; George Crook and William W. Averell to operate against railroad supply lines in West Virginia; Nathaniel Banks to capture Mobile, Alabama. This was the first time the Union armies would have a coordinated offensive strategy across multiple theaters.
Grant and Meade attacked Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia directly in the Overland Campaign. Butler’s mission was to deploy his 33,000-man army via the James River to the Virginia Peninsula and strike northwest to Richmond. The objective was not to capture the Confederate capital directly, but to cut the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad—a critical Southern supply line—and force Lee to send reinforcements to that front, weakening him against Grant and Meade.
Butler was one of several political generals in the war—a man selected more for his support of Abraham Lincoln’s upcoming re-election than his skill on the battlefield. His military career contained more controversies than victories. Grant hoped to compensate for Butler’s weaknesses by assigning him two strong subordinate generals: Quincy A. Gillmore, commanding the X Corps, and William F. “Baldy” Smith, commanding the XVIII Corps. (Neither proved assertive enough to counteract Butler’s inexperience.)
The campaign took its name from the fishing village of Bermuda Hundred on the peninsula at the confluence of the Appomattox and James rivers. The village is southeast of Richmond and northeast of Petersburg. It was downriver on the James from the practical limit of advance for Union warships, the fortifications at Drewry’s Bluff.
Butler’s Army of the James disembarked from navy transports at Bermuda Hundred on May 5, the same day Grant and Lee began fighting in the Battle of the Wilderness. He also dropped units at City Point, which could be used to threaten Petersburg. For a brief time, Butler attempted to move out smartly. Opposing him was a Confederate “army” (the Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia) of 18,000 under Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard; some of these soldiers were pieced together from the ranks of teenagers and elderly men in the Richmond-Petersburg area, theoretically no match for Butler’s soldiers. Beauregard’s subordinate commanding troops around Petersburg was George Pickett of Pickett’s Charge fame.–wikipedia
Colonia Agrippina: Das ist Coeln bey den Alten und zu unsern zeiten ein mechtige Reichstatt [Colonia Agrippina: That is Cologne among the ancients and in our times a mighty empire— from: Cosmographey oder beschreibung aller Länder]
by Sebastian Münster; Sebastian Henric Petri, Hans Rudolf Manuel, Christoph Schweicker
Unknown publisher, ca. 1960s reproduction of a 1628 double folio leaf. Very Good but trimmed on edge without loss to text. Map of Cologne, Germany. German fraktur text. Mounted on hardboard. 8.5 x 13.75″ wide.
Sebastian Münster (1488 – 1552) was a German cartographer, cosmographer, and a Christian Hebraist scholar. His work, the Cosmographia from 1544, was the earliest German description of the world, going through 24 editions over 100 years. This reproduction is likely from the 1628 edition, the largest of them/